The Association welcomes into membership any hospitality-related organisation large or small that provides accommodation, dining, attractions and catering services within Uganda. Educational establishments, suppliers, advertisers, etc. can become partners of the association. Membership is annual and possible to join all year-round. There is a range of rates depending on the type of organisation and its size.
We hereby introduce to you the Uganda Hotel Owners” Association, which was formally registered in May 2000 as UHOA. UHOA is an association for all hotel owners in Uganda. Some of the benefits of being part of the Hotel Owners’ Association include:
- -All UHOA members benefit from the tax exemption on hotel operational materials that can only be accessed through our office. Until recently our members could also get tax exemption on construction materials but that was stopped in December 2010.
- -All members get a discount on accommodation in all our member hotels and this is being pushed to include East Africa.
- -UHOA was also represented by Hajji Bulaimu Kibirige and Mr. Ismail Sekandi on the Presidential Investors Round Table (PIRT) in 2008. It was through this forum that Mr. Kibirige managed to secure tax exemption on all construction materials for all its members, a privilege that helped grow the number of hotels in Uganda.
- -UHOA has been able to negotiate with Trade Unions on behalf of all our members.
- -Members are also able to keep up to date with news from the industry from the UHOA secretariat through email.
- -All our members also have the opportunity for joint promotion through our website and this is freely provided.
- -UHOA has been lobbying against the newly introduced Local Service Tax and the Hotel Tax on behalf of its members and other government incentives.
- -Through the numerous meetings and General meetings that UHOA calls for its members, we are able to interact as investors and get to meet other Hoteliers and exchange ideas something that would not be possible without UHOA.
- -Members are also able to access joint promotion from the Secretariat through the annual UHOA magazine which is always premiered at the World Travel Market in the UK. Our magazine is also available at all the tourism fairs around the world and can also be viewed on line by all tourists abroad.
- -UHOA has got representation on various NGO’s and government committees on Tourism for our members. UHOA makes sure that the interests of hoteliers in Uganda are well presented at all levels of the industry some of the Associations UHOA is a member of include: PSFU, UTB, Chamber of Commerce, etc.
- -The Secretariat supports recruitment of all categories of staff for the hotel industry.
- -UHOA organizes training programs and refresher courses for all its members’ staff. Members with a particular training need can also contact the Secretariat and training for their staff is arranged. Currently UHOA is in talks with UTALI College to be able to bring in their lecturers to train our staff.
- -UHOA has established a desk at Entebbe International Airport to support all members.
We are currently operating with three hundred and fifty hotels (350) members, paying annual subscription depending on the number of rooms they have. The current structure is as follows for 2016:
Small Hotels 10 – 35 Rooms 500,000=
Medium Size Hotels 36 – 70 Rooms 1,000,000=
Large/ Big Hotels Above 70 Rooms 1,500,000=
The requirements for joining include:
- A one off membership fee of 500,000=
- Annual subscription, determined by the number of rooms and facilities a hotel has.
- Annual Membership certificate which costs 60,000=
- UHOA membership Plaque at 300,000=
- UHOA identity card at 100,000=
Non voting partners - 2,000,000/= annually
If you would like to join the Uganda Hotel Owners Association please contact the Secretariat